Digital Marketing For Accountancy [Case Study] - How This Accountant Grew Their Revenue £1m & Got A 5x Increase In Leads
This client is a firm of Chartered Accountants has multiple offices, providing tax advice, bookkeeping and accountancy services for businesses, contractors and wealthy individuals.
Over the past few years their practice has grown through a combination of word of mouth, purchased leads, acquisition and digital marketing.
Here's how their digital marketing has improved since we've worked with them, helping grow the practice.
At The Start - Website Already Working Well
Our first step was to complete a full analysis of their marketing and their current website and once we did this, we wrote up a full marketing report detailing all the issues we found:
- The website was performing well - they were already working with a digital marketing agency who were running Google Ads and providing SEO services, plus a website and content agency that specialise in the accountancy sector.
- They were already getting around 20 enquiries a month, with more than 1000 website visitors a month.
- They were publishing regular news stories and sending out email newsletters to their customers.
- This content was not original, however. The news stories were being published by hundreds of other accountancy firms around the UK. This was creating duplicate content, which is not good for search engine optimisation.
- There was also no CRM system, leads were managed via email and excel spreadsheets.
The Marketing Plan
Following on from this report, we put together a customised marketing programme for them. We agreed to work with the existing website, working alongside the existing website agency but replacing their digital marketing agency. Our role was to implement a more comprehensive inbound marketing programme including:
- Marketing Strategy - we created an SEO strategy, identified key services and target personas, and developed the marketing strategy.
- SEO (search engine optimisation).
- Google Ads management (taking over the management of their Google pay-per-click advertising).
- LinkedIn Advertising - using LinkedIn Ads to generate targeted leads.
- Content marketing - regular blog articles written, published and promoted across social media.
- Lead generation - we applied several conversion rate optimisation strategies to the website, and also created a number of PDF guides to use as part of online lead generation.
- HubSpot CRM (customer relationship management) implementation including automation.
The Results - 5x Increase In Leads/Enquiries
As of 2022, the progress is as follows:
- Inbound leads & enquiries have grown 5x - to more than 100 a month.
- This is down to the conversion strategies we have implemented, helping their website conversion rate grow from 1.4% to nearly 6%.
- All of this has led to the business now generating 30 new customer quotes/opportunities per month.
Here's what these results look like in graph form:
Website Traffic & Conversion Rate
Compared with many of our clients, the website traffic growth has been modest during this period. This is due to the high competitiveness of the accountancy/financial market and the fact that the website was already well marketed and optimised. Nevertheless, traffic has grown around 15-20% - but during that time we have been able to make huge improvements in the overall website conversion rate (the black line in the graph above), which has led to...
Growth In Enquiries/Leads
As you can see, the number of leads generated each quarter has continued to grow and build over time. This, in turn, has led to:
Growth In New Customer Opportunities
The above graph shows the number of new quotes raised quarterly from leads created through inbound marketing. As you can see, this has been building very nicely.
Apart from directly attributable leads, enquiries and sales, there are also softer benefits to good ongoing marketing. For this client, they include:
- Improved credibility with continued articles and social media updates
- Advice and support on social media for other businesses within their group
- Ideas and tips to improve sales performance
- Development of customised HubSpot reports and dashboards to replace existing internal reporting
- Implementation of marketing automation to follow up and nurture new leads
- Support and guidance through a website design and rebranding project
Here is what they have had to say about working with JDR:
"We have had an amazing transformation of our accountancy business with JDR. They have understood our business and what makes us tick, and helped us to rebrand and attract large numbers of new clients as well as deliver polished professional information to existing clients. We are drawing in increasing numbers of prospects and converting at better rates widening our funnel of contacts all the time. JDR are highly professional, knowledgeable, and efficient, have given great value services and I could not recommend more highly!"
See How We Can Help Your Business: Get A FREE Review Of Your Marketing